Construction and engineering legal advice
Eversheds is the law firm behind some of the world’s most ambitious construction and engineering projects. We now have one of the biggest teams serving the sector: 100 specialist lawyers working across our network of international offices.
We provide the complete range of legal services to utilities, the public sector and large companies, and advise on procurement, construction contracts, funding, risk management and disputes. Our team has broad sector experience, as well as deep technical skill – and many of our lawyers have worked in-house gaining years of industry-specific expertise and qualification.
We are lead legal advisers in construction and engineering for clients across the energy and transport sectors – with wide experience of the New Engineering Contract, FIDIC and many other procurement options. Recent mandates include the following:
- defending a renewables corporate in a €35 million LCIA arbitration concerning an offshore wind farm
- negotiated extensions for Network Rail to all three framework agreements with its contractors undertaking rail replacement across England, Wales and Scotland
- advising on a QAR multi-billion real estate project to construct a mixed-use four skyscraper development in Qatar on the US$500 million contract to build the world’s largest helium plant project
- acting for a joint venture in an international arbitration concerning defects at an offshore wind farm. We successfully called in a £7 million bond and are now claiming an extensive award for remedial costs
Our work helps clients handle all the routine matters with efficiency and confidence, but we are also able to advise on ground-breaking projects of immense scale: recently we acted on multiple construction and engineering legal issues for London Olympics 2012, and we are currently advising the HS2 start-up team. We are also legal advisers for the construction elements of several major energy projects in clean energy, nuclear power generation and oil and gas supply.
We innovate on behalf of our clients too: for Microsoft we have delivered an entirely new hub-based legal process, allowing the roll-out of a single contract for all the company’s real estate development and maintenance worldwide. This hyper-efficient model speeds up the legal process and cuts costs for the client.
Our market-leading disputes team is there to support our clients when things go wrong – wherever they are in the world. Although our expert litigators and arbitrators will fight where necessary across jurisdictions, our reputation for careful risk management and alternative dispute resolution means we are often able to save our clients the risk and expense of a protracted dispute.
- At the present moment, the increased safety of investments into construction is only effective on paper
- Investīcijas būvniecībā ir kļuvušas drošākas pagaidām tikai uz papīra
- Statutory Adjudication
- Risk Allocation in Major Construction Projects
- Adjudication of construction disputes in Malaysia