International arbitration legal advice
Eversheds has a team of elite international arbitration lawyers representing companies, investors, financial institutions, States and State entities around the world.
We have grown rapidly in recent years as more and more clients recognise Eversheds’ growing reputation as a top-level arbitration practice. We are known for our forensic preparation, pragmatic strategic advice, efficient working practices and winning advocacy. In recognition of our success, Global Arbitration Review ranks us in the top 20 arbitration practices worldwide. Our team of lawyers now spans the world’s major international arbitration centres, including London, Paris, Zurich, Geneva, Stockholm, Vienna, Dubai, Singapore and Hong Kong.
Eversheds' international arbitration experience
Our core service is advising on high-value complex commercial disputes, and we are particularly strong in energy, telecoms, financial services and construction sectors. Recently we have, for example:
- Acted for a Middle Eastern telecoms company in a multi-million-dollar arbitration under International Chamber of Commerce rules, and involving three substantive bodies of law.
- Represented various partner oil companies in respect of a threatened take-over of a highly valuable and strategic pipeline in North Africa, which gave rise to potential commercial and investment arbitrations, as well as potential English court proceedings.
- Acted for a Russian oil major in relation to two arbitrations at the London Court of International Arbitration against an Eastern European national oil company, for the non-delivery of $500m worth of fuel oil.
Our team also has an outstanding reputation in investment treaty arbitrations, successfully representing both States and investors. We have recently:
- Represented foreign investors against a Southeast Asian State in two separate high value disputes in the energy/gas sector.
- Represented a Middle Eastern State defending an investment treaty claim brought by a large telecoms company, in relation to a billion dollar mobile telecoms licence.
- Advised an oil major on its rights under a series of investment treaties, and how best to safeguard its multi-billion dollar investment in off-shore oil production facilities in Africa.
Eversheds' international arbitration expertise
In addition to our top-flight practice of commercial and investment arbitration, we are regarded as the world’s pre-eminent public international law practice. We advise clients on all aspects of public international law, both contentious and non-contentious, including boundary disputes, State responsibility, global trade agreements, environmental matters, human rights issues and sanctions. Notably, our lawyers have represented States before the International Court of Justice, the Iran-US Claims Tribunal, and other international dispute bodies and tribunals more frequently than any other firm in any jurisdiction.
Several of our international arbitration experts are leaders within the wider arbitration community; we have between us a Vice-President of the ICC, three former ICC Court members, a trustee of the Dubai International Arbitration Centre, a former member of the WTO Dispute Settlement Appellate Body, and a former co-chair of the LCIA’s Young International Arbitration Group. Members of our team also lecture at numerous prestigious universities and institutions across the world.
Whilst a relatively young team, we have broken through to the top rank, and global organisations are increasingly choosing us over longer-established firms to advise them on their matters of paramount importance. We will continue to invest heavily in this area, which is a growth focus for Eversheds, to ensure our clients get the very best available international legal advice.
Contact a specialist
- +33 1 55 73 41 15
- E-mail Will Thomas
- Attorney at Law, M.C.J. (also admitted in New York), Global Head International Litigation and Arbitration Group
- +41 44 204 90 90
- E-mail Dr. Claudius Triebold
Choose a country
Select a country to see localised services