The global telecoms industry is developing at a rapid pace. At the time of writing, there have been interesting developments at a national and international level, including:
- the roll out of next generation Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) and Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) fixed networks for the provision of superfast broadband in various countries
- the development of new standards like LTE for the provision of fourth generation mobile communications services
- the deployment of additional fibre optic sub sea cable systems to increase international and global capacity connecting different countries, including around the Middle East and to Africa
- the emergence of tablets and growth in smart phones, all associated with a surge in demand for content and applications at a consumer and business level
- the continued growth and significance of cloud computing in the west
- the development of smart cities and smart grids in which communications technologies are used to connect a whole range of devices and appliances
- the deployment of mobile payment technology and the pursuit of a range of different mechanisms and standards to facilitate mobile payments around the world
- increasing demand for and dependence upon corporate WANs with international reach to support the IT and communications needs of multi-national corporations.
This is to name only a few.
Eversheds is one of only a handful of law firms with specialist in-depth expertise in telecommunications, and a major UK and international telecommunications practice.
Current clients of the group include public network operators, service providers, equipment and infrastructure vendors and large-scale users of networks, systems and services.
The team significant understanding of network infrastructure and architecture, and a working knowledge of the key existing and emerging technologies - essential in our view for lawyers working on communications network infrastructure and services projects. And unusually for a law firm, we are corporate members of leading communications industry organisations.
Eversheds has an international network of specialists to provide detailed and accurate advice on telecommunications infrastructure and services contracts, and regulatory matters, in the telecoms and broadcasting sectors.
Eversheds has great experience in advising on a full range of:
- network infrastructure projects;
- network services arrangements;
- communications regulatory matters.
Project and infrastructure
Our project and infrastructure experience includes work associated with the installation, build, sale and purchase, exploitation and sharing of network infrastructure of all descriptions, ranging from passive fixed infrastructure - civils, duct, fibre, copper/coax and passive radio infrastructure - through to active electronics systems and technologies, BSS and OSS systems and data centre arrangements.
Our experience ranges across public networks, private LANs and WANs, countrywide and international roll-outs to in-building solutions, and fixed wire, mobile, radio, satellite, cable and broadcasting technologies.
We have advised on network sharing, capacity swaps, roaming and interconnect agreements, and agreements associated with the development of network coverage and capacity, and associated back office services.
Industry specific commercial work
We have a track record in industry specific commercial work where our key advantage is a deep understanding of market structure, the constantly evolving regulatory rule book, industry practice, and network issues, both as to network software and electronics and the underlying physical infrastructure.
We draft and advise on agreements relating to: distribution and sales channels, dealers, business partners and SPs, MVNOs, spectrum trading, corporate WAN procurement and outsourcing. We have established both standardised and bespoke wholesale and retail distribution arrangements, outsourcing arrangements, interconnect and access arrangements, co-location and data centre agreements, and capacity and service contracts of every description.
We have some great experience in advising on regulatory matters ranging from day-to-day enquiries, complex regulatory assignments and disputes and investigations with communications regulators.
Our broader telecoms sector team supports clients on disputes, corporate mergers and acquisitions, real estate matters, data protection, HR and pensions, and a variety of other matters.
News and publications
- TMT Legal update: Cyber security pandemic will only get worse
- TMT Legal Update: Lulzsec members sentenced in the UK
- TMT Legal Update: UK urged to claim ownership of the Tech City talent pool
- TMT Legal Update: Government Adopts Cloud-First Strategy for Public Sector
- TMT Legal Update: Copyright Reform: The Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act
- View more news