Privacy and data protection
Data protection laws, and increasing regulatory and commercial pressure on the use of information, are vital issues that impact on virtually every organisation. Our substantial international team of over 70 data privacy experts advises on global and national data issues for clients of all shapes and sizes. We have specialists in over 40 countries, meaning you get the depth of resource you need in globalised times.
We understand both the law and the way it is applied by regulators, offering a pragmatic and seamless approach across international boundaries. Our vast experience has given us an understanding not just of the law, but also of the way in which to approach compliance tasks. We develop insightful solutions that make sense for your business and with brand reputation and legal liability at stake, allow you to benchmark acceptable risk.
Our pragmatic and commercially aware support on the full range of issues includes advice on:
- balancing budget and risk to create sensible compliance programmes
- the mechanisms to deal with the transfer of personal data from Europe, including Binding Corporate Rules
- how to practically implement ethical reporting hotlines and staff monitoring tools, email and internet use, on a cross jurisdictional basis
- how to address the data privacy issues arising from shared service/global IT platform programmes
- how to comply with the new "cookies" rules
- the data protection aspects of acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and other major transactions
- the interaction between freedom of information laws and privacy laws
- records retention
- handling complaints and requests from individuals and regulatory bodies, and providing guidance in the face of investigations and prosecution
- web based processing of data including use of online behavioural, advertising, cookies and other tools
- data compliance in the world of cloud computing
- reporting data security breaches
- notifications and permits or approvals of processing activities with the relevant regulatory authorities
- appropriate wording for contracts with employees, customers and suppliers
- training on data protection
- handling staff data on a multi jurisdictional basis and the industrial relations issues which can arise as new data policies, contracts and procedures are introduced.
- +971 (0) 2 494 36 32
- E-mail Geraldine Ahern
News and publications
- Legislation introduced to save heel-prick test database
- Reversal of the decision to destroy the "heel-prick" test database is a change of law necessary?
- Frivolity - The Data Protection Commissioner is not amused
- ICO Releases BYOD Guidance
- Draft EU Data Protection Regulation - Progress Update and Urgent Call for Comments
- View more news